The Cadets, a youth-focused performing arts nonprofit serving the Allentown area and beyond, is seeking candidates for Semi Driver’s to support The Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps during the summer tour. Must be highly motivated and self-starting.
Position Reports to Corps Manager & Tour Manager with a dotted line to the Director.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Observe all mandatory safety regulations.
- Perform mandatory pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Inspect, verify and monitor the operational condition and safety of vehicle accessories and assigned truck and trailer on a daily basis.
- Notify the proper authority in case of equipment failure.
- Maintain cleanliness of windows and interior of the truck on a daily basis.
- May wash truck exterior, may fuel and provide minor service to vehicles.
- Strong communication and coordination with the management team.
- Report all accidents, complete required reports and cooperate with investigating authorities in which bus is involved.
- Report all accidents no matter how minor.
- Exercise sound and responsible judgement.
- Maintain accurate and up to date daily log books, fuel logs, interstate mileage log, Vehicle Maintenance Records.
- Submit all logs and paperwork to the Lead Driver weekly (summer) or Transportation Coordinator (Fall, Winter, Spring), for submission to The Cadets/YEA! Office.
- Attend driver meetings during the summer for pre-tour and tour.
- Practice non-aggressive, defensive driving techniques.
- Maintain effective professional working relationships with corps members and staff.
- Knowledge and practical use of the US Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations pertaining to the driving of Commercial Vehicles.
- Ensure accurate reconciliation of driver’s cash bank/road tolls with all receipts and financial paperwork.
- Consumption of alcohol or being under the influence of any illegal substances while with the program at a rehearsal facility, school campus, in your vehicle, or on tour will NOT be tolerated and is grounds for immediate dismissal.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Complete all required paperwork in a timely manner that is legible and neat.
- Safely, efficiently, and courteously drive tractor and trailer of at least 53’ in length on all public highways and required private property, including cities and mountainous regions in all weather conditions.
- Work with corps personnel members of a TEAM. This requires the Driver to coordinate activities with others, and to function as a whole unit.
- Reading and writing English communication skills.
- Read and interpret maps, compass directions, 24-hour clock time, schedules, and procedural instructions experience.
- Any combination of training, experience, and/or education equivalent to one year of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience within the last 3 years involving the regular operation of a tractor and trailer on public streets and highways.
License and Other Requirements
- Possess and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License. Class A with Air Brakes endorsement minimum with no mechanical restrictions.
- Possess and maintain a DOT physical.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
- Provide a 36-month Motor Vehicle Report.
- Any moving citations or chargeable accidents in the applicant’s driving history within 36 months prior to the application date will be evaluated and may be considered disqualifying.
- Personality and character traits suited to working and care of passengers of multiple ethnicities and cultural values, behavioral, and physical handicaps.
- Safety-sensitive job class. Employee in this class will be subject to random selection for alcohol or controlled substance testing.
- Applicants should be at least 25 years of age or older.
- Must be able to successfully pass a driving test.
- Open to ongoing training and willingness to adapt to the Corps’ procedures.
Outdoor setting; driving a vehicle in variable traffic and weather conditions; the majority of driving happens overnight (4 pm – 8 am); semi drivers will be able to sleep in the sleeper cab of their trucks, a drivers sleeping room will be provided at the housing site (bedding provided by the driver); all meals are provided by the Corps; passes to shows will be available when drivers are off duty
Hearing and speaking to exchange information; seeing to perform assigned duties; sitting for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate controls; kneeling, bending at the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally to perform assigned duties, must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Location and Schedule
Part-time positions will be structured around the corps’ summer tour and require travel with The Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps. Summer positions run from the months of May 13 - August 12 (start and end dates are flexible and based on schedule).
The Cadets tour admin finance assistant is a part-time paid position. Compensation will include seasonal wage, housing, transportation (conditional), and food provided to those traveling with the corps (summer).
Please submit your resume, short cover letter, at least two references and supporting applicable materials as well as any questions to email@example.com.
Applicants may be subject to a screening project and a series of phone/live interviews as part of the evaluation process.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, or any other protected status. The Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps offers equal opportunity and treatment to all who apply and is committed to diversity.